I want to tell you about a great friend of mine. Sandra Scott began her mortgage career in 2005. I always tell her that she is a perfect example of what every new (and seasoned) originator should do when they want to be successful in this business.
Sandra and I recently had lunch together and I was so impressed with her numbers, attitude and work ethics that I’m going to share them with you. She was on her way to close 23 transactions. 20 were direct referrals from Realtors. Amazing numbers for someone in the business less than 18 months!
Let me give you a few of the reasons Sandra is so successful.
- Returns phone calls immediately. Even if you don’t have the answer to their questions or concerns – call to let them know you are working on things and haven’t forgotten about them. Also, Sandra’s agents know that she is looking out for the best interest of the client and will let everyone know up front if she can’t help them. (Dragging out bad news doesn’t help anyone!)
- Always marketing. Sandra spends about three hours each day marketing. Her goal is to do 5 handwritten notes, 20 phone calls and 7 Realtor pop-by’s a day. I think it is obvious that this works. Just look at the numbers!
- Resolves problems quickly. The faster you take care of them, the stronger your reputation will becomes.
- Asks for referrals. Sandra asks everyone this questions “Do you know anyone that might need a loan?”
- Personable. She takes the time to listen and get to know the Realtors and potential clients she talks with.
- Invests in herself. Sandra had recently made the decision to become a mortgage lender but hadn’t started with a company yet. We had just met and when she found out I offered marketing training for lenders, she grabbed my arm and said “I’ll buy whatever product you sell!”. She has also invested in coaching, off-site training and developing a web-site.
Would someone be able to say these things about you? What areas do you need to work on? This is a great time to assess where you are and where you want to be. Thanks Sandra for your great example!